Tuesday, February 16, 2010

playing catch up

I have been slacking off with this blog, but Lucy is doing just fine. Last Friday we had a lesson where we worked on just walk/trot. Trotting for almost an hour was a good workout for both Lucy and I! The goal in our lesson was rhythm and relaxation. It took her about twenty minutes to get the idea but she is so clever that once she figured out what I wanted, she settled right down and got to work. It was a very productive lesson and it was good for us to go back to basics to make sure we had all the details ironed out.

On Saturday, my friend who rides with Johnson and Wales University came down to ride Lucy. I was SO sore from my lesson on Friday that I was just happy she was able to come down to ride! Lucy was able to replicate most of what she learned the previous night, and my friend (who came to ride her back in November, after I had owned her only a few weeks) said she saw a huge difference in Lucy. She was really impressed.

On Sunday, my legs weren't feeling too badly and I was back in the saddle. I stepped it up a notch and after some great trot work, we had a nice canter in each direction. I practiced leg yields with her, which are really coming along nicely! At some points, I had a significant amount of leg on her and her response was 9 times out of 10 to go lighter and rounder, instead of faster. That is a huge improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!