Monday, November 5, 2012

the worst feeling ever

Lucy had all weekend to let her Robaxin work and I was excited to see how she was feeling. I had an appointment after work today, and because I knew I wouldn't be able to ride after work, I got up super early and tacked her up this morning. I was in the saddle by 6:30am. She started out great and was super quiet and stretchy. We were at the far end of the ring, by the woods, and all of a sudden there was a dog in the woods staring at us. Lucy looked at it, and it went down into the play stance (front legs down, butt up in the air). She spooked, spun, and bolted. I tried so hard to stay on her but she spun so fast that my weight pulled the saddle to one side and I fell hard onto my lower back. I tried holding onto her but she dragged me a few feet before I let go of the reins. Maddy had just gotten to the barn and she stood at the top of the path down to the ring, trying to stop Lucy, but the saddle was working its way around her barrel and she was absolutely petrified. She didn't even see Maddy. She flew right past her and up into the road. She slipped and fell on the pavement as she was turning out into the driveway, but got up and kept running. She ran a mile down the road to a major intersection, but then someone I know stopped and caught her, took off the saddle, and waited for us to catch up. Maddy made it down there before I did and by the time I caught up to her, she was already walking Lucy home. Thank god a horsey person stopped to help, and as usual, I don't know what I would have done if Maddy hadn't been there. She told me there were two other ladies who were screaming at Lucy to stop running and when Maddy caught up to them (someone had stopped and given her a ride in their car so she was way ahead of me), they screamed at her that this was horse abuse. What is wrong with people?

Lucy was walking fairly sound, but I immediately saw the damage to her legs. She was already bleeding quite a lot, but nothing arterial. As soon as we got her back to the barn, I called the vet's emergency number and initiated that whole thing. I gave her some banamine right away to help the pain and keep her calm. The vet arrived within about 45 minutes. Lauren also came - I called her right after the vet. My barn owner came over to lend a hand, too. My friends are just incredible.

Lucy's front right cannon bone had a massive swelling that developed within about 5 minutes. I thought she had fractured something and I spent the entire 45 minutes waiting for the vet, thinking that I was going to have to put her down. Nothing will make you forget about some silly clinic, or a beaten up saddle, faster than if you have to consider where you will bury your horse. It was the worst feeling ever.

The vet cleaned everything out really well. Sadly there was no way to suture anything because she had torn all of the skin away. She x-rayed the RF and it was just a bad bone bruise, thank god. The x-rays showed that her LH leg was fine, too. No fractures on her patella or her LH fetlock, despite the nasty injuries. The vet prescribed stall rest for a week, though she can come out and graze on a lead line if she stays quiet.





My saddle looks like absolute hell. I took it to a local tack store for the owner to look at it. The leather on the pommel and cantle is badly scratched up but the tree is thankfully not broken.

Tonight I am extremely sore. I was doing ok while the adrenaline was still pumping, but I went to work after Lucy was all tucked in and as comfortable as possible in her stall, but sitting in my chair at work without moving much caused my whole body to stiffen up, and I am really feeling it right now!

So needless to say, we won't be going to Equine Affaire this week. That is the least of my problems but I still am very sad that we are going to miss out on the fun. EA's management was absolutely wonderful; I called them right away this morning in hopes that they could give my spot to someone else for the clinic. They were so good about it - they said not to worry, and they even refunded my clinic fee once my vet faxed over some paperwork about Lucy's injury. Lauren and I are still going to go and enjoy EA since we both took Friday off and we have been looking forward to it for a long time!

32 comments:

  1. Wow, poor Lucy! I hope she heals fast (and you too!). Sad to hear about EA but thankfully it sounds like everything's ok for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you both are ok!! Very scary when things like that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch and ouch! I am so glad that Lucy has what seem to be minor scrapes and bruises compared to what have could have happened! So scary! Healing thoughts will be sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is horrible! That is my nightmare. I'm glad that she is ok, and hopefully you will both be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no what a scary day! I hope you both feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cringed reading the entire thing! Speedy recovery to you and miss Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry Kate! Having recently gone through the same petrified feeling, I understand what you're going through! Glad Lucy's ok, what a close call:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you guys got banged up, absolutely terrifying experience, but I am glad that you are both okay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How incredibly terrifying! :( Glad it ended ok - thinking healing thoughts for you and Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your both ok! But remember, the injuries are a long ways from her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending healing thoughts your guys way. So glad that nothing worse came of it. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kate, that is just awful. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow. Big hug to both of you. Heal up soon, and let's not do anything like that again. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hoping she'll heal up fast. Sorry you had to even ponder that decision even for a second.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bummer with a capitol "B". But, try to remember everything happens for a reason. (at least I like to think so!) Perhaps something terrible would have happened at EA and this is Karma keeping you both "safe". So glad it sounds like her injuries will heal. Silly mare! Maybe I don't want to rush out and get a TB after all. :P A stunt like that would never cross the big carriage horse's mind and I'm definitely too old for that! Feel better, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can only imagine the stress of the situation, then to be sore yourself afterwards! Definitely time to be thankful it wasn't worse. You will both heal and be back at it soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was really cool of the EA staff, so glad they did that for you - but it's still so disappointing that you can't participate. I also think everything happens for a reason -- and these events are likely to keep you two out of more trouble! :)

    Hope you and Lucy are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, hope you both feel better soon! Don't skimp on the care for yourself: you might need your own robaxin.

    Glad you're both relatively okay. That's got to be really, really scary. I'm always horrified about something happening while Archie and I are outside of the pasture - I think he'd head down scary roads, too. :(

    What happens after the week of stall rest? More hand-walking?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Phew! So glad you are both okay. Did you figure out who's dog that was? Hope you are both feeling sound again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm really glad everything worked out yesterday! Ms. Lucy saw you walking towards us and reached out a little farther. You could tell she was thinking, "MOMMYYYYY!!!" Love you guys <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too! YOU ARE AMAZING. And a lifesaver.

      Delete
  21. Omg, how horrifying!! I'm relieved that you guy are both ok.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh you guys! How terrifying! I'm so glad Lucy will heal and that you weren't hurt bad. I can't believe those ladies! So sorry you have to miss EA, I was so looking forward to reading about your experience. Know we're all hoping for a swift recovery for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that is scary! My mare got kicked over the summer and she was so lame I could barely get her out of the pasture. I thought for sure that that was the end too, so I know the feeling. That's too bad about the saddle, can you condition it really good to hide the worst of the scrapes?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That fear about your horse while you wait for the vet and imagine the worst is... the worst. It just is. I'm glad Lucy came out of that wreck okay and that you did too. When Winston bucked me off, I tried to hang onto the reins too but he got away. Fortunately, he didn't run off but my lumbar was very messed up. Take it easy for as long as it takes. Backs take their sweet time healing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad you are both okay! It is sad that you won't get to go to the EA, but as long as she is healthy it's a blessing. Lucy really is one tough cookie.

    Sending good healing vibes your way! Hope your back feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had my had covering my mouth while reading this post. I am so so so sorry you are having this sort of run of luck. Those gouges look awful (really clean, but awful). I have read your entire blog and just adore you and Lucy, and am sending you support and healing vibes from L.A.!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ouch for both of you! Glad you're both (relatively) okay, and on the mend. Different situation, but I have a geriatric navicular mare, and every time she's the littlest bit off, I have that terrifying "This is it" feeling. Not fun at all. Hugs to you, carrots to Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Kate! So sorry to hear about Lucy's injuries - and yours (of which you probably have not had checked out!). We horse owners - only think of the horse :)

    Sending get well thoughts you and Lucy's way!

    ReplyDelete
  29. omigosh, just seeing this! Thank god she isn't hurt any worse. I know that feeling of 'do I have to put them down' and there is few things worse but not much. It's dark. :( Sorry you even felt it. Take the time to nurse both you girls back to health!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad y'all are feeling better but this was heart wrenching to read. I hate stories like this!! It is so so so scary to know your horse is running towards a highway and I'm so glad she only slipped on the pavement and didn't end up in front of a car.

    My friend and i were clearing a trail about a week ago and had let our (my) horses go (groundtie) to break some branches. Something spooked SoBe and she took off running and took lizzie with her. They were hauling tail to the same road that buck was hit on. I was running full speed screaming at the top of my lungs and praying every step. They stopped running about 100 ft from the road. Probably the scariest thing I have been through this year.My lungs were congested for 3 days from running in the cold air.

    why do horses have to be so CRAZY!!!

    So glad you two are okay and I hope that it doesn't happen again!

    ReplyDelete
  31. yikes! glad you are both ok! hugs and kisses for Lucy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!