Sunday, February 17, 2013

rough boarding is rough!

The day before yesterday, I started to get an itchy rash in a few spots on my stomach and wrists. I had no idea what it was until yesterday, when it had very clearly developed into poison ivy!

Without fail, I get poison ivy at least a few times during the summer but we are in the middle of a New England winter! There's a ton of snow on the ground! Where was this poison ivy coming from?

Thanks to some wise friends on Facebook, I realised that I most likely got it from handling Lucy's hay. No clue how it got on my stomach, but I guess that a few pieces of hay could have gotten up under my shirt. The whole thing is crazy, especially because I am on the last ten bales of a 50 bale delivery and this is the first time I've had an issue with it. One of my friends noted that poison ivy can grow along the edge of a field and it is very possible that just one or two of the bales that I got have the weeds in there. She also said that the vines can retain the irritating oils for months even after the plant itself is dead!

Just my luck :(

10 comments:

  1. Ugh, that sucks!! I'm fiercely allergic to poison ivy, I couldn't imagine having it several times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck!! I'm horribly allergic to it as well, so you have my deepest sympathies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ughhh!! That is horrible! You poor thing :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ick how horrible, I'm very allergic to poison oak (west coasts version) so I have lots of sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ouch...hope it heals quickly for you...sounds so itchy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so annoying sorry to hear this :( I've never had poison Ivy but it sounds awful L(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my first ever encounter with poison ivy last summer (I'm British) through handling hay. I carried flakes of hay in my bare arms and that night it spread from my wrists up and kept spreading. Awful, horrible nasty stuff, I feel for you! Someone told me lye soap is the best thing to remove the oil from the blisters so I keep a bar in our medicine cabinet. Hope it heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the poison ivy is short lived :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! Poor you. I hope Lucy doesn't get any in her mouth with the hay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had one very bad case of Poison Ivy one summer - never heard of getting it in the Winter. So sorry for you! Hope you have a good rememdy to clear it up quick!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!