Monday, November 9, 2009

Work? no way!

I spent my entire day at work wishing I was at the barn, and when I was finally set free I stopped at the feed store to get some shavings and headed over to the barn. I got there around 3:45 and Lucy was already in her stall munching on some nice hay. I took her out of her stall and gave her a really nice thorough grooming. I was going to pull her mane but I couldn't find my pulling comb so that will be a task for another day.

We went into the indoor and worked on some basic "this is my space, not yours" stuff. At first I let her walk around and look at everything. She spent about five minutes staring at herself in the mirrors! SO CUTE. Then it was time to pay attention and her young age definitely showed. She wasn't bad at all, but she has a very short attention span. At first we were just practicing her stopping beside me whenever I stopped, and the first few times were very messy. She learns quickly, though, and by the end of the session I had her halting from a walk and trot besides me as soon as I stopped, and she was beginning to understand backing up, too. What a star.

She got a nice warm mash for dinner and she is going to start to be weaned off of the senior feed and onto the Triple Crown grain they feed the other TB's this week. She got a handful last night and loooooved it. She seems to be very motivated by food, and I'm not sure if that's a result of her poor condition or if she just really loves food. I guess time will tell! She also started her supplements tonight.

I love my barn so much. I love the people there. I love how laid back it is and how much people care about Lucy. One of the barn moms gave her a kiss on the nose as she was walking out to go home and said "I am so glad you're here!" They are really nice people.

On my way home I stopped and got a gallon of corn oil because I want to add a few glugs (yes that is the technical measuring technique) per feeding to her diet to try and brighten up her coat. It's so dull and dry. I also got her a 5# bag of yummy looking carrots.

I had bought a fleece sheet at the Dover sale to use on nights like tonight, when the stable blanket would be much too warm but it's slightly too chilly for Lucy to be without at least something. Turns out the sheet doesn't have belly straps, and is really only to be used as a cooler, which would be great except I already have a very high quality wool Triple Crown cooler. I just ordered her a lightweight blanket and it should be here in a week or so.

Lucy gets a nice pedicure tomorrow morning. I am curious as to how the farrier is going to fix her front feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!