Monday, January 23, 2012

on making the right choice

Sometimes you have to protect people, or animals, you care about knowing that it may come back to bite you. I was put in that type of position last weekend, when during a lesson I was teaching, Dreamer was led out of the barn, put on a trailer, and driven away. I hadn't been told anything about him leaving and since he did not belong to the individual who was caring for him, I called his owners to find out if they had any information. They did not, and they were understandably very upset. You may remember that Dreamer, the same pony I leased for a few years when I was in grade school, had been leased by someone at the barn where I was boarding Lucy. In fact, I had played "pony matchmaker" and connected the two parties. I have known Dreamer's owners for many years and I felt I owed it to them, not to mention the horse who had taught me most of what I know, to make sure he wasn't in any danger. I wasn't trying to tattle on the people who were supposed to be leasing him; the only thought in my head was the horse's safety, especially since the whole situation seemed very shady. The thought that this could affect me in a negative way didn't even cross my mind.

It turns out that the person who was caring for him (as part of a free lease/trial to own) knowingly sold Dreamer when that person did not legally own him herself. He was on a trial, and legal ownership was never signed over. If it had been, the contract would have included a right of first refusal. She, along with the people associated with her, shot themselves in the foot repeatedly, changing their story and lying to the police, who unfortunately had to be involved when she refused to tell Dreamer's owner where she had taken him. It took a few days, but Dreamer was located and contact with the person who bought him was established. Luckily, the people whom Dreamer was sold to have provided him with a suitable home and he will be staying there.

The person who sold Dreamer was upset that she had been caught red-handed and made a big stink about it, and I was given less than 24 hours to leave my barn and move Lucy. I had a place lined up to take her to, and a friend who could trailer her for me, within ten minutes of receiving that phone call. Lucy was moved in less than 8 hours. It's amazing that in a time of need, when someone you consider a friend and whom you have gone out of your way to help turns and does their best to make your life hell, how many people show you their best side. I had so many offers of somewhere to take Lucy, I had three people say they could trailer her for me at the drop of a hat, and the outpouring of support was amazing and just what I needed to get through this without losing it. Not one single person thought I had done the wrong thing; it seems the only person who thinks that is the one who tried to sell a horse she didn't own.

I am aware that the person who sold Dreamer has been trying to figure out where we went, and honestly I have no idea why she'd care. I left the barn when they asked, cleaned out all of my things and left my spaces in better shape than I found them (even gutted my stall for them!), and was nothing but polite and cordial to everyone, even when they were being very hurtful and rude to me. I try to find a silver lining in every situation, no matter how upsetting it is initially, and the best part about this new barn is the awesome trail system that starts right off the back of the property. We will get a lot of trail riding in until the weather warms up enough that I'm motivated to do ring work :)

I am also aware that this person is trying to ruin my reputation. I'm not really worried about it, because they don't have a particularly good reputation themselves (and especially not after this stunt with Dreamer) and anyone with questions about the incident can approach me and I will be more than willing to tell them the story.

There is no need for me to trash this individual or "out" her. Dreamer is safe, Lucy is fine, and life goes on. I was initially very hurt by what happened but I learned a good lesson, and I'd make that phone call to his owners again, even knowing what the outcome would be. Dreamer is a special pony who is dearly loved by myself, his owners, and many other kids whom he has shown the ropes. It would have been SO easy for him to fall through the cracks, and in this day and age when there are so many trailers going up to Canada, horses disappear at the drop of a hat and by the time you figure out what is going on, they're already on someone's plate at a fancy overseas restaurant.

Dreamer and I, about ten years ago

31 comments:

  1. Great for making the right decision! You did what was right and Dreamer deserved it. I know how hurtful people can be and I am sorry you had to go through it but I am sure you are finding out quickly that situations like these just make us stronger in the long run. Great job! And Dreamer is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you. Bravo and way to stick to your guns AND find a silver lining. Wish there were more folks like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a barn owner, horse owner, and someone who has a horse out on trial right now, I salute your actions and thank you for putting Dreamer's best interests first. I want people in my barn, handling my horses, who would pay attention to the alarm bells and make sure that everything was on the up and up when any horse changed hands. I'm so sorry that you have been "punished" for your integrity, but hold fast to that integrity. Trust your gut, follow up, and always, always put the horse first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have done the same thing you did!!! Good looking out for Dreamer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame the horse world is so full of underhanded jerks like this. Dreamer (and his owner) is so lucky to have you to look out for him. Good work doing the right thing even though it might not have played out nicely for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy situation. Glad you guys came out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people definitely live in their own reality. You absolutely did the right thing! All the best to you and Lucy as you start a new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to you for doing the right thing. Dreamer could have been on his way to auction. It happens all the time.
    Was the the barn involved? It makes no sense for them to ask you to leave, but on the other hand it sounds crazy enough that you are better off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like Lucy is better off not being in that barn anymore. The creeps may have retaliated in an unpleasant way. I would keep an eye out for them and warn those around you to do the same, especially since they are trying to find out where ou moved too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you did the right thing. That is shocking that they would do such a thing. It is definitely a good thing that you are out of that barn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a horrible situation!! Ugh, that makes me so angry that somehow you got punished for doing what was right. You absolutely did the right thing.

    I hope your new barn works out and is less drama for you and Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is helpful to read these encouraging comments. I debated whether or not I should post this, but I think it is a worthwhile anecdote that other horse people can learn from. I know if I ever lease Lucy off-farm, I will have an iron-clad contract. Sadly, a legal contract is the one thing that was missing from this equation, though there is clear evidence that Dreamer does legally belong to his owners and the police had a very clear idea of what had happened after speaking with the people who bought Dreamer, Dreamer's owners, and then the person who had sold him. Let's just say that two stories matched perfectly, and one stuck out like a sore thumb.

    Barbara, yes, the barn is involved.

    Jae, the same thought crossed my mind because they gave me 20 hours notice to leave the barn, and then blocked the driveway so I couldn't get in until the next day. I went at 9pm to check on Lucy and get my saddle out of the tack room and the driveway was completely blocked, and they wouldn't let me in because no one was "available to supervise" me. They thought I was going to steal stuff out of the barn. My tack was by far the nicest tack in that barn, and I am not interested in stealing, let along stealing crappy tack. That was really icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have definitely done what you did - it was the right decision, much better than living with the "what if?" for the rest of your life. I'm sure Dreamer appreciates that you were looking out for him!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My god that is horrifying. Was the seller of Dreamer the Barn owner too?? I can't believe they blocked the driveway....maturity must have gone out with the manure that morning.

    This actually happened to my friend, and we tracked down the horse dealer where her horse was sold. He would sell her horse back to her for $4000. She didn't have the money, she couldn't even buy her own damn horse back. So sad, but happens all the time. You did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! That makes me mad! Why would the barn think you were going to steal other stuff?? Don't you have a right to be on that property if your property is there and you had signed a lease?

    consequences wouldn't have crossed my mind either. And if it was me, I probably would have stopped my lesson and followed them! If it wasn't her horse, Dreamer shouldn't have been in a trailer at all.

    You did the right thing!

    Now, yay for new trails! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got goosebumps reading your post- about having to be out like that! (and to be honest, sounds kind of legally questionable, unless your lease provides for immediate termination with no notice...?)

    btw- Dreamer is gorgeous!! With those kinds of looks I don't think Dreamer would be heading to slaughter, but definitely to an innocent buyer - crazy world we live in, right?!

    Glad you and Lucy are safe and happy! (and hope the new barn has security) Corinna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whaaa?!?!

    This defies belief!! I can't believe they blocked the driveway and wouldn't let you in!!

    At least it all worked out in the end for the best. Good on you for doing the right thing. You would not have forgiven yourself if you had held your tounge.

    Can't wait to hear about the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow.... I am sorry you had to go through that. People caught in the wrong usually act like that-- irrational, and defensive. I had something similar happen to me and I lost a close friend over it. Though if I had a chance to do it over again I would in a heart beat. Dreamers owners are grateful at least?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yikes, what a sketchy situation, but I'm glad that you were able to find the silver lining with the new place. I am also glad that you had friends that would help you at the drop of a hat. I hope that everything from now on goes smoothly and works out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, glad you got out of the barn safe! And that the Dreamer story turned out ok. Scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's good for you to share that story with us.. just to serve as a wake up call that people aren't always who you think they are and that when it comes to our horses you need to protect them in every way possible.

    It looks like Liz beat me to it but I also gave you an award.

    ReplyDelete
  22. New reader over from Liz's blog. I definitely think you made the right decision (although you don't need my reassurances). There is a silver lining to every hard situation in life. And yes, I mean every situation. Sounds like you are good at finding them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well that was dirty! I'm furious just reading this post. You did right and kept your head. I would not have been so cool, I'm afraid!

    Karma's a beech, they'll get what's coming.

    So glad you found a new barn so fast! Chin up, forget the fools.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Are you EFFING serious?!?!? They kicked YOU out?! WTF is wrong with horse people these days.
    I feel your pain on the whole rushing move. I was fired and told to move my horse to another barn in 24 hours as well, but the kicker-I was at a horse show in a different state and had to find a place while I wasn't even in the area. How awesome!
    I think you did the right thing, what kind of person sells a horse that doesn't belong to them? Keep your head up, they are just a bunch of butthurt bitches.
    Pardon my french.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goodness, that is horrible! I am so glad you were there and saw Dreamer leaving. Making the right choice is not always easy, so good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had not signed a boarding contract, which in this case was very unfortunate. I feel like most boarding contracts protect the BO but in this situation, I would have benefited from one also.

    Lesson learned!

    Checkmark that is AWFUL...god people can be so horrible to one another!!

    Thank you for the awards Liz and Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've already commented on the situation with Lucy, so can I just say, I love and wish I had your position in that picture on Dreamer. AND, how did you keep him so shiny and grey (not brown). :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great pic of you and Dreamer! Its sad how disgusting some horse people can be, and how the circles of lies are wound. I'm SO glad that your move for Lucy went smooth and it sounds like the new place is lovely. Enjoying your rides with your head up is the best victory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What??? I'm just catching up on blogs, and I can't believed how shabbily you were treated for doing the right thing. Kudos to you, and shame on them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am disgusted by the way you were treated, and by the fact that someone tries (and almost successfully) sold a horse that wasnt even thiers! What are these people thinking (nothing good I guess, just about themselves!)??? I am glad you and Lucy found a barn in a pinch and from your recent blog posts it sounds like you are settled in. Hope Lucy's teeth are OK. Dreamer is a lucky boy to have landed safely too. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!