Sunday, July 8, 2012

XC school at Course Brook Farm

The Queen Bee, photo by Amanda Rains/Red Horse Photography
Yesterday morning was an exciting one - we were heading out to Course Brook Farm in MA for an XC school with Suzi Gornall. Lucy started the day off in style by getting loose at the barn before getting on the trailer...I took her lead rope off so I could put the chain over her nose because she was being a bit strong when I was leading her around, and she waited until she knew the clip was undone and then said:


She had a GRAND time running around, getting all the other horses riled up, and playing hard-to-catch. We corralled her into the indoor where she finally stood for me to catch her, and then she got her little heinie kicked on the lunge line. Oh, you think it's so much fun to run around? Well then you can do it on the lunge line.

Yes, two can play that game!

After a good amount of lunging, and then some refreshing on ground manners, she was a perfect angel. She loaded in no time, trailered great, unloaded at CBF, stood for me to tack her up, and let me mount from the ground. We walked around the trailer area on a loose rein while the rest of our crew tacked up, then hacked back to the cross country course.

Suzi asked me what my goal was. I told her about our massive failure at Groton House and said that I didn't care what height we were jumping; today I needed to get confidently over some jumps. That is exactly what we did; the "scariest" jump was a 2'3" (if even that) log that was hoisted up in the air, with a small ditch underneath. Going up to it I was like, THAT IS A SCARY JUMP!!! but Lucy hopped right over it. Given my defensive ride, she threw in a few bucks upon landing. Suzi said I needed to stay off her back a bit more and let her jump; she is a nice jumper but jumps very round and I should try to stay out of her way better.

One other thing was that she loaded like she could not WAIT to get on the trailer. WTF horse? We used my barn owner's ramp load trailer, and of course her super sexy Dutch Warmblood gelding was in there. I think the key to my loading issues with Lucy is to buy myself a nice ramp load trailer and an even nicer Dutch Warmblood. Yup, that's what I need! Kenny, are you reading this?

I hired a friend to come out and take photos for me, so here are a few! Check her out here (Red Horse Photography on Facebook).

warm up gallop around the field

pep talk from Suzi



can we just jump little logs forever please?

folks, this is why I do what I do

the scariest jump of the day
no really, I was petrified of it...

The Lucy Special

trotting through the "water jump", which had really dried up to nothing
more than a puddle.



15 comments:

  1. Oh my, could she get any prettier? I don't think so. The photos are beautiful, and that first one is stunning! Sorry she escaped. Naughty girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly I'd rather she be stupid at home than make a fool out of me in front of other people! If it was in the cards, I'm glad she got it over with at home ;)

      Delete
  2. Zebra pad - LOVE! Would look so silly on my black & white or is she bay & white? Lucy looks stunning and you are smiling...good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these photos--so gorgeous!!! You have a darling blog, can't wait to read more =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cheeky, naughty, beautiful mare.

    Also, loving your smiles - you obviously had a great time. :)

    Weird how you guys have step up trailers - EVERYONE has floats with ramps here. Maybe a legislative thing but it makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did have a wonderful time. I was smiling because I jumped the scary jump and survived! I was very happy with Lucy that day.

      Here it's 50/50. There are probably as many step ups as there are ramps. In the South, there are more stock/step up trailers.

      Delete
  5. Wish I could've joined you! Looked like a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wouldn't that be fun!!! do you truck to Suzi's for lessons? Maybe we could coordinate one time :)

      Delete
  6. Lucy is looking really gorgeous! I don't know how she keeps getting more beautiful but she does :) You are so committed to her and the proper training-kudos to that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty girl! What kind of bridle is this? It looks really nice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really happy with it. I bought it off Tack of the Day and ironically they are selling them again this weekend, but they'll no longer be available after Monday at noon, so check them out. I paid $94 for this one and it's a Nunn Finer bridle that is usually $180ish. TotD is selling the same bridle for $80-something, an even better deal than I got! www.tackoftheday.com

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!