Saturday, January 18, 2014

Jerk Face gets schooled

Lucy likes to play little mind games under saddle.

Yesterday, Maddy rode her and didn't steer at all except to change direction. The rest of the ride, the reins remained looped over the horn of her saddle and she let Lucy truck around. At first, Lucy was looking for a battle. She tried scraping Maddy off on the wall. She tried intimidating her by trotting straight toward the side of the ring and then veering off in one direction just as she was about to run into the wall (REALLY, HORSE?!). She tried speeding up and slowing down. None of it phased Maddy and after a while, Lucy was like, "Well I guess I'll just trot around, *SIGH*."

Today was round 2. I went to watch Maddy ride and wasn't sure what to expect. All I hoped is that my horse didn't kill my best friend.

I was so, SO impressed with how Maddy rode, and how Lucy responded. She tried all the same crap that she pulled yesterday, and once again, Maddy just sat there and posted along to the trot and didn't let the horse pick a fight with her. Soon, Lucy relaxed through her back, unpinned her ears from her head, and simply trotted around. I haven't seen her move like that in a long time. She gets so tense and stompy sometimes and it is almost painful to watch (and it it is not pleasant to ride!). Once she relaxes, though, she goes nicely and almost cat-like. It was great to see.

Lucy picked her own path and as long as she remained going in the same
direction at the trot, Maddy let her have total control.

This made for a pretty relaxed mare!








Between Amanda and Maddy, I am going to have a new horse in the Spring! And I couldn't be happier!

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea for working with her. Glad she didn't ram Maddy or herself into any walls before she relaxed . you are lucky to have two great ladies riding her for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've said this a million times, she is so freakin beautiful!! I imagine she appreciates kind sorta calling the shots. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her body looks amazing in all these pictures! Beefcake status (in a good way) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only speak from my own experiences with my mare, but I believe some mares just have that personality. If they think they are making the decisions, they are happy. You can't get in a fight with them. Sounds like your riders are making the right decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy looks amazing! Maddy needs to come ride my horse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really working out well for you! She looks cute, especially with her mare face in the canter lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!