Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I'm actually going to finally do it.

An event, that is!!!

God help me, I signed Lucy and myself up for a one-day three-phase schooling show on the 20th of this month. I heard about it last week from my barn owner and went into insta-planning mode. Today after confirming that I could actually make it, I sent off my registration information and fee!!

Lucy will be in the advanced elementary division, which has a height of 2'3". I think we can manage that. The dressage test is the USEF BN A test. Here we are practicing last week:



I see a few things I could really improve on, but overall I am quite pleased with how well she picked it up, especially since she had a pretty easy winter with mostly trail rides, and then a solid month of next to nothing thanks to her sore feet. I am going to work on the test in bits and pieces in the upcoming weeks, since a friend warned me that horses soon "learn" the test and start to anticipate the next element. Lucy is a smart pony and I would not be surprised if she knew the test better than I did by the time we actually got to do it in front of the judge!

11 comments:

  1. Good for you and good luck! :-) You guys look really awesome for just starting dressage!! At the risk of sounding like one of those typical blog commenters/armchair trainers, think about a little less forward in the trot...slowing her down a tad with allow her to rock back more on her hindquarters to make more balanced turns, esp. up centerline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as I said, I already have a good idea of what I need to change.

      Delete
  2. Fun! You guys are going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! Eventing tests always confuse me, because I think that they're the USDF tests..."wait...do they canter in Intro A?" but it's a completely different division/test! I think I need to branch out of my dressage world a little. Good luck at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! You and Lucy will have a blast! I promise, even if you finish dead last and get beaten by a 5 year old on a pony (been there!), it's still the best feeling in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How totally awesome! I do NOT know how you memorize dressage tests! I would be like "Wait...where are we?!" I know you and Lu will do SO great! What a fun thing to add to your training !!! Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!! You guys will have so much fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait! You will have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!