Tuesday, May 29, 2012

next in line: Groton House, and feet frustrations

I had so much fun at my first event that I've gone and signed us up for round two! This time we're going to Groton House's Summer Classic schooling event on June 24th. I picked this event for a few reasons:

-It is only $95 for all three phases, and we'll get to compete at one of the best spots in New England

-They have an elementary division which, according to reports from others who have competed there in the past, is somewhere between the "advanced elementary" I did at our first event and a rated BN course. This will give us the chance to challenge ourselves without overfacing either of us.

-My barn owner is going with her horse, so I will have some support while there!

-The XC course is in a much larger area than the Groton Pony Club's event is, so we'll have a chance to get a good feeling for what XC is really like!

Lucy has had a pretty easy week. She got Monday and Tuesday off while I caught up on non-horsey obligations that I had pushed aside to prepare for our event last weekend. The rest of the week was pretty low-key, though she gave a "lesson" to a friend of mine who wants to learn how to ride on Saturday. On Sunday I went out to the barn and tacked her up and mounted up, and she was slightly ouchy on her LH. I couldn't find heat anywhere, and she didn't react when I poked and prodded, so I put her on the lunge line to try and get a better look. On the lunge line, she looked stiff but not really sore on any particular leg, and she worked out of it as she warmed up. I gave her some bute with her dinner and she got yesterday off.

Today when I got to the barn, I really wanted to go on a trail ride with Brantley and his owner M. I put Lucy on the lunge line first and she looked pretty good. When I brought her in to groom her and tack up, though, I got a good look at her feet and her LF (the evil white foot) looked AWFUL. It looked not-so-hot on Sunday when she was off, but not as bad as it did today. I texted my farrier a photo of that foot, since she was due to be re-shot this coming Saturday. We both agreed that she wouldn't make it to Saturday without losing that shoe, and the foot was deteriorating so badly around the nails that if she threw the shoe, she'd do a lot of damage to that foot. I have this problem with her every summer. Between the fluctuating weather and humidity level, and her stamping at flies all day long, her front feet take a beating. My farrier is awesome, though, and he came out within the hour to do her feet for me. How great is that?

She's now on a 5 week schedule instead of a 6 week schedule, and I am going to put her on a hoof supplement. Money is really tight for me but no hoof, no horse, so it isn't really an option anymore; it's a must.

I will leave you with some recent photos!

grazing in one of the grassy paddocks

Cairo enjoying a trail ride with Lucy and I

Lucy grabs snacks-on-the-go

Cairo hanging out while I tack Lucy up

see? we were made for each other.

the girls

Cairo jumping one of the jumps in the ring..how cute is that?

an essential for every doggy household: a little paddling pool to cool
off in after a long walk on a very hot day

17 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you signed up for another event. It sounds like a great one! Glad she got her Mani and is all better now. The pictures are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Groton House, as long as I don't keel over from the heat.

      Delete
  2. So glad you signed up for the Summer Classic! I'm trying to convince myself to show up for a dressage test, but I'm just so busy.....would love to do the 3 phase, but can't spare the money with the barn and fencing to contend with. Maybe we'll see you there! :) You'll have a BLAST. It's a great event. I did it with a borrowed horse (who's braver at XC than Daatje) three years ago and even in the pouring rain it was a wicked good time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know if you do end up going -- I will try and find you!

      Delete
    2. Will do! I have the entry sitting next to me on my desk all filled out..... :)

      Delete
  3. That event sounds awesome!
    I hate feet issues BUT they are important, aren't they!
    Good luck w/ the supplemented vitamins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, feet suck, but they are obviously very important. I hope the supplement helps. I am getting tired of her throwing shoes.

      Delete
  4. Yay! So glad we get to see another event!
    Love the pink shoes!
    I use fly boots on Paj in the summer. They've been a big help with the fly stomping. I like Roma because they don't heat the legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea, I will check those out! I douse her in fly spray and she still stomps.

      Delete
  5. I had a quarab and a dutch warmblood with all white feet that fell apart all the time. We put them on a plain gelatin with biotin supplement and they were barefoot in a year and we never had a problem again. i checked KV vet....its not bad....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, what is the name of the supplement? That sounds good!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Her theme song is "I'm Sexy and I Know It"

      Delete
  7. I can't remember if I posted on your last post or not, but congrats on the horse trial!!! You guys looked fantastic.

    All these pink boots are making me get a little mare envy.. hope her feet improve on the supplement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kate,
    Who do you use as a farrier? I'm in MA and looking for a new one and you're always raving about yours!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Eric Kearns. His number is 860 961 0329 :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!