Tuesday, April 29, 2014

riding in the rain

I had an unexpected baby-free hour and a half on Sunday so I rushed to the barn, got Lucy tacked up, and rode in the outdoor. First I lunged the snot out of her because it was chilly, raining, and she had gotten several days off, and that turned out to be a good choice, because she was a bit craycray. She calmed down and paid attention and I felt pretty good by the time I put a foot in the stirrup and climbed on. I chose to stick to a walk and trot because I didn't feel as though I had 100% of her attention.

And yes, I rode outside in the rain even though we have an indoor. Once it hits 40 degrees, I don't want to ride inside anymore, no matter the weather.

I've got to hand it to my body; I rode like a BOSS even though I am still comically out of shape. Things just clicked into place, and I'll chalk that up to muscle memory.

Maddy and Amanda decided she goes better without a noseband, so that's how things have
stayed. I don't particularly care what tack she goes in as long as she's comfortable and happy,
but she will need to go back in a noseband if we do any showing this summer.

I rode again yesterday and hardly spent any time lunging her because she was already chill! We had a super ride and this time we had a little canter in both directions. Lucy's canter has always been her worst gait but after Maddy's extensive work with her over the winter, I couldn't believe the difference in how she moved. Her canter was miles better than it was before. We cruised around the whole ring a few times in each direction and then I asked her to come back to a walk. She was like, oh hell no, and was a bit naughty about it. I was disappointed because we had been doing SO well! But I just picked up another canter and asked for another downward transition. It took three transitions but she was much more polite about it by the third one. Overall I was very, very pleased.

Hannah is six weeks old today and she gave me a real, genuinely happy smile today while I was taking some photos of her. I couldn't believe I was lucky enough to have the camera when this happened!!


6 comments:

  1. That last photo is totally melt-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, what a stinkin cute smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a doll!
    Congrats on the good ride too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh so cute!!

    Glad you are getting some good riding in!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect baby snap!! So lovely! And isn't muscle memory the best?
    It's so nice to be able to still ride after forced breaks - like babies and lame ponies.... : )

    bonita of A Riding Habit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Photo of little Hannah, how wonderful you had the camera to capture it!
    Belatedly catching up - but had to comment on this post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!