Friday, July 20, 2012

life just won't slow down.

Once again my blog (and my horse) have been neglected. I get the feeling that there just aren't enough hours in the day at least once per day, every day of the week. I have ridden just a handful of times due to work and the heat, which up until yesterday has been outrageous. Lauren has still been riding diligently, at least!

This is a video from tonight's ride:


I am SO out of shape but I am really happy with Lucy.

I am heavily distracted now because my beloved Golden Retriever, Cassie, whom I picked out of her litter 16 years ago, has been diagnosed with very advanced cancer all in her lungs and bones. She lives with my parents in MA so I only get to see her every so often. I got the news on Wednesday and the vet who saw her said she had 3 months to live. Then our vet, along with a family friend who is also a vet, looked at the x-rays and recommended that we put her down within the next two weeks because her condition is much worse than the original vet thought. This comes as such a shock. She is the sweetest, most happy dog. Even though she has probably been in terrible pain for quite some time, she always wants to snuggle and she always has a smile on her face. This type of cancer can rupture and cause the animal a horrific death and as a family, we have decided to put her down so she doesn't have to endure that end, even if we may get more time with her if we wait. To me, the risk of her dying a horrible death is not worth getting a few more weeks with her.

I have known this was coming for some time - she's 16, which is an impressive age for a Golden and the adult in me knows they don't live forever, but the reality that it is happening in the very near future has left me reeling.




13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to read about Cassie. She is beautiful and that picture of the two of you is just amazing in the way it captures the love between you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to hear Kate. You guys are doing the right thing - she is a lucky dog to be owned by your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate I am so so sorry to hear about Cassie. I know exactly how you feel...the same thing happened to my Golden two years ago and it was devastating. If you want to talk or anything let me know :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so sorry Kate... and you are doing the right thing for her and that is a courageous act!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your Cassie. She is a beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry hearing about Cassie. It is a tough decision, as you know with Cleo it took me a while to come to terms with my decision. If you need anything let me know, I am hear to talk. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thought are with you - so hard to lose a great dog. She sure is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Cassie. A dog like her is irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kate, I'm so very sorry. What a lovely dog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about this. I had to make the difficult decision to put down my childhood dog a few years ago. I got her when I was 8 years old and as a Lab, she lived to be a very happy 13. It was an incredibly difficult time, and unfortunately nothing I or anyone else can say will make it any better for you. Having said that - it does get easier with time. I holed up at home for a weekend and didn't do much but cry, and it helped for me to get able to get it "out", so to speak.

    Will you be able to get home to see her? Some of my greatest treasures are the photos a good friend and very talented photographer took of my girl just a few months before she was put down.

    I hope you get to spend a little time with her. You and your family are making an incredibly difficult and courageous decision, and you should take solace in that. Most of all, try to remember all the good times and the wonderful life you enabled her to have. (My desktop photo is a candid shot of my girl when she was younger... it won't ever change. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish dogs lived so much longer. That decision seems like a very loving one to me. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I am so sorry about Cassie! Sounds like she has had the BEST life and a loving family who is putting her needs above theirs. Very honorable... hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry, Kate. I still miss Harley every day, still adjusting to Promise being gone. It doesn't ever get any easier to let them go, but it does get easier to live without them, especially knowing you did the right thing for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!