Thursday, November 15, 2012

handwalking!

Lucy's legs seem to be on the mend, bandage bow included. I felt terribly guilty about the entire thing and ran myself ragged going to the barn 3+ times a day, even when working 8 hour days, to ice/cold hose and wrap her legs overnight. On my vet's advice, I am doing 12 hours unwrapped/12 hours wrapped, and under the wraps she gets poulticed or a Furazone sweat on alternating nights. In the mornings, I am there by 7 to unwrap her legs, cold hose her, and tend to her other injuries. Her road rash has reached the Ugly Stage and the vet told me to just let it do its thing. It isn't going to be pretty but as long as it's healing well and looking not infected, leave it alone. I am exhausted but I don't care, because my efforts are helping.

Lucy's RF looking almost normal after a hot date
with Furazone and standing wraps.
 I will say that having to cold hose on days where the high is in the low 40's is pretty cruel for both me and the horse. She is being so good about it and I am rewarding her with Lick-Its. She seems to be ok with this arrangement.

Yesterday we started handwalking for the first time. She was pretty good, though she got a little excited at the end of the ring where she spooked last Monday, starting off this entire chain of events. One of the other boarders left me a note to tell me that she had also gotten excited when the UPS man made a delivery. I realise that part of turning her out is taking on this risk that she may overdo it, but I would rather turn her out than stall her, even with a tendon injury. Her injury is very superficial and while there is some risk of it worsening if she overdoes it, it's not as bad as if it were a true strain or a rupture. My vet is behind me on the decision to turn out, and said she can even return to work very soon, but I am in no rush to return her to real work and so I will probably be quite conservative.

Thrilled to be walking in circles in the cold! No, really! :D
We'll do a lot of handwalking, then maybe do some walking under saddle next week. I want to do a lot of "emergency dismounts" with her in a rope halter to teach her to stop when I dismount (or fall off). I don't know if this will really translate well, but it's worth a shot, and it's something we can practice easily at a walk. As we progress to more of a workload we will practice it at a trot and canter, too. I think some horses are more of a "thinking" type when something goes awry. Lucy is not. She is flighty and hot. I don't think these exercises will change her nature, but they may install a pause (or delay) button.

10 comments:

  1. Hoping Lucy feels better soon!

    I LOVE her bell boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I figured it was time to resurrect the pink bell boots :D

      Delete
  2. I think the idea of creating some sort of "emergency dismount" or even an "emergency whoa" is a great idea, especially since you guys go out on the trails, etc so often. We do an "emergency recall" for our dogs, why not try something soft of similar with a horse? I can't claim my dogs are perfect at their emergency recalls, but on the occasions when I've needed them, they sure have come in handy! Are you going to start with a clicker and/or treats while teaching on the ground? I'm definitely curious to hear/see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, exactly. So my train of thought is walking along quietly, and with no "heads up", I will swing my leg over and hop off like a true emergency dismount, minus the emergency. I will immediately give her a treat, probably a peppermint since I can keep a bunch of those in my pocket. Get back on, ride around for a few more minutes, hop off, treat. Rinse and repeat. I could do clicker training with this but I am not really that coordinated to handle the leadrope, treat, and clicker. I definitely want to do it with her in a rope halter because it will provide better backup if I need it. Plus if she gets away for whatever reason, it's not the end of the world since she won't have reins to step on. We will be doing this exercise in the indoor since the gate in the outdoor still isn't up.

      Delete
  3. Looking so, so much better. I bet you are relieved. It sounds brutal having to cold hose and check in on her so much, but looks like you are doing an awesome job AND it is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling better about this, but we aren't totally out of the woods yet.

      Delete
  4. She looks a lot better. Try not to beat yourself up over it, you are being a great horsey mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there when it comes to rehabbing a horse and fully know how exhausting it can be. Kudos for you taking such good care of Lucy and not rushing her healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a big improvement. You are such a good horse mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for healing. I did the emergency dismount training with Laz, but I will say he is more of a thinker vs reactor so that is a HUGE difference like you mentioned. I agree!
    I did opt to do this training, like you, with treat rewards and for my fatty that equals success. I opted to use my bareback pad so I didn't have to tangle with tack. Sometimes as you tip, or get off balance on purpose, it can freak them out and then that alone sets off panic, so start slow, tack-less if you are comfortable which with your incredible seat you will be, and even with a friend hand walking her as well so as you slid down/off Lu gets a treat crammed right in. Then graduate to you alone with her,with tack, etc. GOOD LUCK :):)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!