Sunday, May 25, 2014

Delta

Change is reality, and occasionally reality is difficult to come to terms with. Thanks to a giant pile of bad luck, I have to sell Lucy. Bad luck losing my job in November, bad luck not being able to find a new job, bad luck not being able to find someone to commit to a lease. Kenny has been working like a crazy person to support all of us along with Lucy, and it's just not fair to him.

Pending the finalization of a contract, Lucy will be going to a trainer's barn in Massachusetts for a summer full of boot camp, shows, and hopefully events, and will be sold in September.

I am HEARTBROKEN.

It is harder than I even imagined to decide to sell a horse who has been a part of me for almost five years. When I've had a bad day, when I've needed a hug, I have run to her and buried my face in her neck more times than I can remember. She has been a source of joy, happiness, pride, fear, defeat, and most of all, humility. I don't even know who I am without her but I guess I'm going to have to find out.

The good news is that this trainer knows and loves her. She's ridden her before and thinks she has a ton of potential. I hope with all my heart that she can take Lucy and do all the things I've wanted to do with her but just didn't have the resources.

Every day I wake up and see that the calendar is closer and closer to June 1.

I hope to have some really good rides before she leaves. Earlier in the week, we went to the field and she was awesome. We did a lot of cantering around, and she was doing auto changes left and right when we switched directions. She is so much fun in the warm weather. I wish she was either that great year-round, or that I lived somewhere with more than a few months of nice weather! I think she knows she was born in Florida and wonders how the heck she ended up in New England.

Kenny came out and took some photos for me. Late last year, my hard drive crashed and I lost all of my photos of Lucy, Cairo, and everything else. I didn't have anything backed up. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It breaks my heart because we had so many fun experiences. All of the images I've uploaded to this blog are low-res versions of the original, so I can't print them. Another thing to chalk up to experience, I guess. Anyway, Kenny knows how upset I am about that and so the goal prior to June 1 is to take a bunch of photos and have a lot of fun with her.


















cantering downhill: something new for us!



I hope that I can go and see her at the trainer's barn, and when she goes to a show, I want to go cheer her on.

I gave notice to my barn owner and my stall has already been filled and honestly, the whole thing feels like the end of an era. I absolutely adore my barn, my barn owner, and my friends there. I've already had many offers of horses to ride so this blog will hopefully keep going.

19 comments:

  1. Kate my heart breaks for you. I've so enjoyed reading about Lucy -- her great days and her challenging days. Get lots of pictures. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you had to sell Lucy. I'm sure that your trainer will find her a wonderful home. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, I can't imagine. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry. I wish I was magic and could somehow allow you to keep your wonderful girl. Kenny took some beautiful photos though! You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry! That's terrible. hopefully you can at least continue riding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sad for you. I have loved your blog about Lucy, I think you are honest and brave and goodness knows you guys have had thrills and spills together. But you're right, life goes on, nothing stays the same. I hope you do find a way to keep Lucy, but if not you'll find her an awesome home and go on to have more pony fun somehow. Bless you for sharing your journey with us. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang! Keeping you in my thoughts Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you don't want to sell her, she could come live in Ontario until you are able to take her back...not sure if you need the sales money - but the offer is there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am so so sorry. I have loved reading about Lucy and you and all your adventures. Lots of hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you have to sell her, I have really enjoyed your adventures together. Kenny does a wonderful job capturing the fun in your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Kate! I am so so so sorry. Hugs to you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man :( I am truly sorry...no words

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am truly sorry, your journey with her has been one of the most fun to follow of all the blogs I read. She's so talented and athletic - the only silver lining is at that least her new home sounds like it will be a performance home too, right? Adulthood is no fun sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. (((hugs))) I am so sorry to read this. Heartbreak & helpless to change it is so hard. But I AM happy to hear that Lucy sounds like she has a great advocate in trainer and that you had some great rides with lots of pictures! It is most true that the only thing you can count on in life is that it will NOT be what you expected or planned. I certainly had that lesson slammed against the side of my head with a 4x4.

    After I graduated from college, the two years I worked before grad school were pretty much completely horseless (I had never owned one but had grown up taking lessons at least). But the flip side of change is that nothing lasts forever either and horses will still be there waiting when you are ready -- maybe even Lucy herself. Life's a funny thing...

    Hang in there and know we're here for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry, you have put in so much, and gone through so much it seems like with Lucy to have to sell her. She's a beautiful mare, and you have done so much for her. Sounds like you found a good way to sell her, so that she will find a great home.

    Hug baby Hannah and know that many of us have gone through dry spells but horses always come back into our lives. Certainly a pony in your near future right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've gotten so far behind on blogs I missed all of this. I'm so sorry you have to sell her.

    Do you still have the hard drive that the pictures were on? You should take it to some professionals. You would be amazed at how much they can pull off of hard drives even after they crash. I'm glad you at least have the ones from the blog still.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!