Thursday, December 13, 2012

apples galore

We have a super grocery store to us that is part of a very small local chain, called Dave's. They have a few locations throughout RI and they have excellent produce.

I was there the other night picking up something for dinner and I spotted the produce manager putting away some apples. I asked him if he ever had bruised or damaged apples, and if so, could I buy them for my horse? He said they usually have a bunch of them every day that they just throw away, and he would save them for me to go and pick up the next morning.

I got to the store at 7am yesterday morning and a huge box of apples was waiting for me FOR FREE!

I was soooo excited and so grateful. I usually buy bruised apples at Stop and Shop, another local store that is part of a huge chain, but I pay about $1.50 for 4-5 apples. There were about 30 apples in this box and I paid a grand total of $0. The produce manager said to me, "we're just going to throw them out, why would we charge you for them?"

So last night after my pretty decent ride, I revealed the big box of apples to Lucy and her eyes just about bugged out of her head.
OH MY GOD! Is this some kind of joke?!

a little mid-dinner snack? hell yeah! 

thank you Dave's!

9 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! And here I have been buying brand spanking new apples at full price all this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so nice! You should give them a thank you card with a picture of Lucy with her head in the box, I bet they'd like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome deal! That's definitely a benefit of local store. Hopefully it can be recurring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea! I never thought to even ask!

    I love Lucy's look on her face "awwwwwww" the skies have opened lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have been buying new...what a fool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice is that?! There is a Santa Claus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg that is brill! I never thought to ask for bruised apples...soooooo going to now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, Lucy looks like she enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first picture of Lucy made me laugh out loud! Great deal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!