Friday, January 7, 2011

why you need to be very careful when selling something online

(click on images to make them bigger)

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

This is a scam. I've gotten a few scam responses to my Toulouse saddle that I'm trying to sell, which I have listed on several online classifieds sites. Ironically the least number of scammer responses have come from Craigslist, which historically has the worst reputation! Funny how that works.

Anyone who isn't aware of the scammer's MO might look at this and say, "Wow, Robert Pattinson, the famous Twilight actor, wants to buy my saddle! That is so awesome!" but spend about 30 seconds thinking about it, and examining the grammar and language in the email, and you will hopefully see that this is a scam. For kicks, I plugged the IP address into an online site that does reverse look-ups, and surprise! it's in Nigeria. Do they have a lot of need for cross country saddles in Nigeria? Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!